Pharmacy careers are better at Banner Health. We are committed to developing the careers of our team members. We care about you, your career today and your future. If you're looking to leverage your abilities - apply today.
In Wheatland, Wyoming you'll enjoy a quality lifestyle in a close-knit community that is located just 70 miles north of Wyoming's capital city of Cheyenne and an easy drive to the city of Denver. You'll experience a wealth of recreational opportunities in southern Wyoming, including many lakes and the nearby Laramie Peak and Medicine Bow National Forest areas.
As a Staff Pharmacist at Platte County Memorial Hospital, you will help with order verifications, medication consults, and more! As a Critical Access Hospital, you'll see a wide range of pharmaceutical care, from chronic conditions to acute care. This is a full-time role, working 8a-4p, with shared weekend and call coverage. If you're looking for a great Pharmacy opportunity with flexibility in your schedule, this role is for you!
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefits to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Platte County Memorial Hospital offers a full range of inpatient and outpatient services, including an Outpatient Clinic which brings in more than 20 of the region's top physicians in nine different medical specialties to help care for southeast Wyoming residents. A $16 million renovation created a new inpatient wing, surgical suite, and diagnostic imaging departments while making enhancements to the emergency department and laboratory. In Wheatland, Wyoming, you'll enjoy a quality lifestyle in a close-knit community that is located just 70 miles north of Wyoming's capital city of Cheyenne. You'll experience a wealth of recreational opportunities in southern Wyoming, including many lakes and the nearby Laramie Peak and Medicine Bow National Forest areas. We are also an easy drive from all of the recreational and cultural activities available in Colorado's Rocky Mountains and the city of Denver.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for the delivery of pharmaceutical care to patients using the medication use process (selecting, prescribing, dispensing, administration and monitoring of medications). Performs comprehensive assessments and analysis of drug therapy in collaboration with patient care team members. Accountable for on-going evaluation and documentation of all components of pharmaceutical care delivered to patients. Oversees the activities of the pharmacy technicians, coordinating workflow and checking all medications prior to being dispensed. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients being served. Must possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status, interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements and provide pharmaceutical care based on those needs. Adheres to local, state, and federal laws regarding the profession of pharmacy practice.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Reviews medication orders and evaluates their appropriateness and completeness with respect to patient data including age, height, weight, diagnosis, laboratory values and other pertinent patient information. Contacts the prescriber with suggestions for improvement and resolves problems with the medication orders as needed. Documents resolutions and clinical interventions in the appropriate manner. Complies with directives of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee as it relates to formulary management. Accurately and completely documents patient assessment data and clinical interventions.
2. Utilizes clinical pharmacy skills in assessing and formulating recommendations to physicians ensuring positive patient outcomes, safety, quality and economical drug therapy. Participates in and supports decentralized pharmacist activities, when appropriate and where applicable and appropriate.
3. Reviews and verifies or enters orders into the medication management information system in an accurate and timely manner. Assures entries to the patient medication profile presents no significant problems in regard to drug interactions, incompatibilities, therapeutic duplications or patient safety.
4. Prepares and dispenses medications and IV solutions in an accurate and timely manner in compliance with company policies and procedures.
5. Supervises and directs work of pharmacy technicians and interns. Coordinates medication preparation and distribution work of the pharmacy technicians and ensures accuracy prior to dispensing medications for distribution.
6. Provides accurate, appropriate and timely information to physicians, nurses, patients and others regarding medication therapy, drug product guidelines, law and regulations, medication formulary and other topics related to medication use and control.
7. Ensures accurate records are being maintained. (e.g. audits, controlled substances, logs.)
8. In a Home Care setting: the clinician assesses the patient at the initiation of drug therapy, develops a patient care plan and drug monitoring regimen and monitors the patient according to the care plan through out the course of therapy. Documents in the patient clinical record all recommendations and interventions communicated to the physician. Enters medication orders into the computer system and dispenses medications/IV solutions in an accurate and timely manner in appropriate quantities based on stability, compatibility of the drug and age specific needs of the patient. Coordinates the drug preparation work of pharmacy technician and checks the accuracy of that work according to literature guidelines. Completes all documentation associated with filling prescriptions and verifies all prescriptions not directly received from the physician or the physician's agent. Communicates with the patient, physician, nursing staff, pharmacists and other members of the health care team regarding patient status, response to therapy and clinical objectives to ensure clinical outcome is met. Therapy day and prescription information is input into the computerized software system to ensure accurate and timely billing. Monitors patient response and documents interventions as appropriate. May assist in medication delivery and documentation collection per current compliance standards. May also be required to take after hours calls as needed.
9. Participates in all aspects of medication use, including (1) selection, procurement and storage, (2) ordering or prescribing, (3) dispensing, (4) administering and (5) monitoring of all medications utilized. Internal customers may include Patients, Nurses, Licensed Independent Practitioners, Nursing Directors, Department Directors, Administrators and other health care team members for the purpose of integrating services, improving patient care and ensuring effective communication systems. External customers may include local, state, and national pharmacy organizations, Joint Commission, state Board of Pharmacy, colleagues and peers, educational institutions and pharmaceutical representatives.
Requires current and unrestricted pharmacy licensure in the applicable state of practice within 90 days of hire date.
Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must possess good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and other contacts. Must be able to use reference tools to evaluate patient care and answer questions posed by customers. May be required to possess a valid driver's license and be eligible for coverage under the company's auto insurance policy. Banner Registry and Travel positions require a minimum of one year experience in an acute care hospital setting. Experience must include working in an acute care setting within the past 12 months as a Pharmacist in the specialty area. Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Must have knowledge of computer software, particularly medication management information system software, Microsoft applications and Automated dispensing system.
Prefer hospital pharmacy experience.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R5191
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.