Location: Portland, Oregon
Ranked the No. 1 Hospital in Oregon by the U.S. News & World Report, we pride ourselves in not only serving our community with the highest of accolades, but pushing a multifaceted mission that strives of excellence within the OHSU Culture. Find out more here: https://www.ohsu.edu/about/ohsu-vision-mission-and-values and https://youtu.be/6C-lws1q5cY
- Eligible up to $3,000 Hiring Bonus
We want you, apply and work with us today! https://www.ohsu.edu/
This position coordinates and produces high quality meals, coordinates menus assembly and incorporates HACCP procedures and safe food handling practices and taking corrective action where applicable with other cooks or, at times, tray line. Responsible for directing other cooks and food service workers in proper preparation and methods of service and presentation. Responsible for the coordination of patients, guests, and staff related menu items. This position needs to be capable of covering all positions. This role is expected to be mission orientated and be flexible to adjust to business demands and requirements. The position needs to be a facilitator and coordinator in conjunction with the sous chef and executive chef.
Function/Duties of Position
Preparation/Cooking: Prepare food items for patients and visitors at OHSU South hospital and CHH2 according to standardized recipes and menus or by verbal instruction given by higher-level cooks or supervisors. Perform functions according to following procedures as listed: (1) mise-en-place (put in place) all ingredients and supplies; (2) perform all required preparation; (3) cook ingredients using prescribed best method; (4) hold and serve at proper safe temperature; (5) chill as appropriate using correct food safety procedures; (6) reheat as necessary to the appropriate safe temperature; (7) properly label and date products to be stored in the various stages of production.
Food Safety & Sanitation: Ensure all foods, including potentially hazardous foods, are handled in a safe and proper manner according to Food and Nutrition Standard Operating Procedures, Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP), OHSU Infection Control, and Multnomah County Health Department. Identify critical control points (CCPs) in food preparation and storage and monitor the factors that might create a food safety hazard, using corrective action when a deviation occurs. CCPs include but are not limited to: hand washing, cooking, cooling, holding, thawing, temperature monitoring, cross-contamination. Effectively prepare sanitizing agents (e.g. bleach water, quat sanitizer) and clean and sanitize food preparation appliances, work areas, utensils, and equipment using dish machine or three-compartment sink method. Maintain cleanliness of assigned work area. At minimum, the last 30 minutes of each shift will be dedicated to cleaning, sanitizing, and sweeping assigned work area.
Planning, Requisitioning and Preparation: This position must be able to maintain adequate products and supplies for patient operations, especially being prepared for the next days and coming events. Request needed products, and supplies to be ordered; check supplies or food products delivered by suppliers, to insure they meet type, quantity, and quality specified, checked for proper temperature safety standards. Must be able to make a production schedule and oversee its completion, coordinating with the patient services supervisor and the retail cafe supervisor to ensure complete order and adjust to last minute order when necessary. Keep records of amounts of foods prepared and left overs to adjust production schedules.
Miscellaneous: Provides training in cooking methods and procedures, participates with supervisor in planning menus and recipe development and testing. Cook II positions are expected to be independent problem solvers, and creative innovators; and perform regular and new tasks and responsibilities as assigned by managers and supervisors. Assists with cooks and other staff members to achieve daily and overall production needs as directed by supervisor. Demonstrates through performance the philosophy of service excellence. Performs requirements for staff members as outlined in the Compliance Roles and Responsibilities in OHSU Hospitals and Clinics.
- Supports sustainability efforts of the Food & Nutrition Department in recycling programs, i.e. food waste for composting, and adhering to FIFO product utilization.
- Maintains good personal hygiene and assigned work area, equipment and tools in a clean and sanitized condition on a daily basis by the use of a self-inspection sanitation checklist to a standard of 90% or better.
- Point of contact for Health Department inspections in absence of supervisor or food safety coordinator.
- Three years of cooking experience in an institution or commercial firm serving complete meals
- OR An Associate's degree in Food Service Management, Foods and Hospitality Service, or a directly related field
- Working knowledge of high volume commercial cooking equipment and utensils, safe operation and sanitation. Personal basic safety and sanitation skills, exemplary hygiene standards and effective team motivation, be able to work independently from a recipe and verbal instruction.
- This position requires serve safe certification as soon as possible after hire.
- Compliance with Code of Conduct, Respect in the workplace and Applicable policies, procedures and agreements related to position, department or OHSU as a whole
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodation
- High School Diploma or Equivalent, Apprenticeship, ACF Certification as CC; or vocational studies.
- Hotel or high volume restaurant catering experience.
- Normal work schedule is as determined by supervisors but may change due to departmental requirements, employee will be subject to equipment noise and in a very active environment, will also be exposed to bleach and other sanitizing agents and cleaning chemicals.
- Employees are required to review MSDS sheets for specifics and to ensure proper handling.
- Employee will be exposed to smoke, steam, vapors, deep fryer exhaust, heat lamps, various production equipment, multiple interior surface materials and variable lighting conditions.
- This position will be required to continually stand for 4 hrs at a time and throughout the 8 hr shift.
- Walking is continuous on hard surfaces, floor mats are essential wherever. Carrying up to 20 1bs, carts are available and are recommended. Lifting weight up to 50 1bs occasionally. Pushing/pulling food carts that weigh 100 - 150 1b occasionally. Bending frequently, using leg muscles, not back muscles during loading and unloading.
- Reaching/handling/dexterity: some overhead reaching is required, hand -eye coordination is required using shape knives and cutting utensils, working around hot cooking oils and water and open flame and heated ovens, continuous hand and wrist movement with knives is often required.
- Twisting, Climbing and Crawling are all physical demands that could be a part of the job, but would not be a normal course of action.
- You will seek immediate instruction from a manager or supervisor to any piece of equipment tool or utensil that you are unfamiliar with or do not know the safety characteristics or operational procedures.
- NOTIFY: a manager or supervisor of any allergy or abnormal reaction to your environment.
All are welcome
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or email@example.com.