Location: Portland, Oregon
Ranked the No. 1 Hospital in Oregon by the U.S. News & World Report, we pride ourselves in not only serving our community with the highest of accolades, but pushing a multifaceted mission that strives of excellence within the OHSU Culture. Find out more here: https://www.ohsu.edu/about/ohsu-vision-mission-and-values and https://youtu.be/6C-lws1q5cY
OHSU is hiring! We offer a variety of benefits on top of joining a thriving organization:
- Eligible up to $3,000 Hiring Bonus
- Medical, dental and vision coverage at low or no cost to employees
- Covered 100% for full-time employees and 88% for dependents
- 70% of all Food Purchases throughout OHSU campus
- Differentials for Weekends ($1.50), Evening (7%) and Night Shifts (12.5%)
- Several retirement plans to choose from! - Oregon Public Service Retirement Plan and University Pension Plan, voluntary savings plans (403b and 457b)
- Up to 200 hours (equal to 25 full days) a year of paid time off
- 96 hours of sick leave a year (prorated for part-time employees)
- Commuter subsidies
- Tuition reimbursement
- Access to group life insurance, disability insurance and other supplemental benefits
- Annual Raises
- Employee discounts to local and major businesses
- Growth/Development Opportunities
We want you, apply and work with us today! https://www.ohsu.edu/
This position serves as a production cook for preparation, service, support of retail and patient cooking. This position has an extremely high level of interaction with other culinary team mates and requires excellent service skill, attention to detail, multi-tasking and ability to work well under pressure. This position covers the food production positions during break periods, performs meat and poultry fabrication tasks and is responsible for maintaining general expectations set forth for Cook 1.
Function/Duties of Position
Cook 1 prepares and cooks simple foods according to standardized menus, recipes, or verbal instructions from supervisor. These recipe items include but are not limited to: salads, dressings, gelatin, toast, sandwiches, soups, eggs, hash browns, sushi, meat fabrication, fish fabrication, poultry fabrication, etc. Duties include use of grills, char-broilers, ovens, tilt grills, steam kettles, steam oven, choppers, blenders, slicers and other various and specialty pieces of kitchen equipment. Cleaning & maintenance of equipment and work areas is required including mopping, sweeping, scrubbing.
Cook 1 must have sufficient culinary knowledge to: adjusts recipe quantities; take measures to eliminate excessive waste of food products; be familiar with use and types of commercial kitchen equipment, proper temperatures for food; be able to produce consistent, visually appealing & high quality food. Recipe alteration requires sign off from Chef.
Cook 1 must adhere to sanitation and food safety standards as set forth by the health department as well as standards above and beyond Health Department Regulations as stipulated with OHSU Food & Nutrition Handbook. This adherence to policy includes but is not limited to: proper hand washing procedures, proper labeling of all products, following proper rotation procedures and assisting in maintenance of rotational policies throughout not only individual work areas but throughout the entire kitchen.
Cook 1 interacts with customers and fellow employees; they must demonstrate superior customer service skills and behave in a professional courteous manner at all times.
Additionally duties may include some transportation of food back and forth from the kitchen to satellite locations, clean work surfaces, sweeping work area, sanitizing floors in addition to stocking utensils, cookware, perishable and non-perishable supplies. Serve food from steam tables, fill 5 gallon buckets of ice.
This position requires the ability to lift 30-50 LBS on a regular basis.
- Prepare (physically produce) existing and new recipes for Patient and guests. Production and service of menu items, special requests preparation, specialty and individualized services unique to patients and guests.
- Conveyance of supplies, storage of foods employing OSHU specified controls, temperature monitoring and recording and food and work safety compliance assurance.
- Covering co-workers for breaks and absences.
- Special preparation, banquets, special assignments.
- Good understanding of Math, Customer service, Cleanliness and Food handling skills
- Food handlers Card or Servsafe certificate
- Compliance with Code of Conduct, Respect in the workplace and Applicable policies, procedures and agreements related to position, department or OHSU as a whole
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodation
- High School / Culinary Diplomas
- 2 years industry related exp.
- Exposure to loud noise, heat, grease, cold.
- Continuous standing, moving, bending, walking, lifting up to 50 pounds, pulling, twisting, moving.
All are welcome
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.